Saturday, November 13, 2010

How to keep yourself safe and worry free :)

I usually get really really scared when Spencer is somewhere overnight, so anticipation of this "boys" weekend I had been trying to think about how I could stay calm enough to get some sleep.  (Yes, in the back of my mind I know that most of my paranoia is unreasonable, but that doesn't help me sleep. Instead I'm awake all night long listening for the slightest sound and working myself up every time I hear ANYTHING.)  However, I came up with a plan that I put into work last night.  I set up all the children in my bedroom, this way I didn't have to leave the room during the night when one of them woke up (yes, they wake up every night) then I tested my panic button on the car from my bedroom (it works) and then when it was time for sleep I locked and barricaded the door by wedging the piano bench between my bed and the door and of course I had my cell phone.  There was no way this door was getting open without a lot of work. so ... it stood to reason (in my mind) that if someone was trying to get into my bedroom I would have enough time to push the panic button on my car to let the neighbors know something was wrong and call 911 from my cell phone before the door could be opened.  Now you all think I'm crazy, which I am when I'm home alone at night, but I had the most wonderful nights sleep only interrupted by my children and not the fear I normally feel. YAY for being prepared.
This door was not going anywhere!!

Mason in the crib, Zach in the porta crib and Ethan in my bed

3 comments:

Brenda said...

I know you too well to think you are crazy. It all sounds totally reasonable to me, and smart. I'm glad you got some sleep.

Kara said...

Well at least you got some sleep, and Spencer got to have a boys night :)

The Pitcher Family said...

We should have just had a sleep over.