Thursday, March 11, 2010

Spencer's surgery

on the 5th of March Spencer had his ear remade:) he had what is called a cholestiatoma (totally not spelled correctly) well, anyway we went in at noon on Friday and he went into surgery at 1:00p.m.. The surgery was only supposed to last an hour and after 2 1/2 hours I was starting to get a little worried, but then the Dr. came out and told me that the growth was larger than they had anticipated so they had to go in through his skull to get to it and that when they got into his ear they realized that the ear bones had basically disintegrated and had to be replaced with new models. to replace these they took skin grafts from above and in front of his ear ... this is to trick the body into accepting the new "fake" bones. After his surgery he had some apnea problems (I've been telling him for years that he holds his breath in his sleep) so we were in recovery longer than we would normally have been, but everything went well and I'm happy to report that I made it through the 4 days of being a single parent :) pathetic I know, I was a little disappointed in my abilities to deal with my children on my own ... but in my defense I think they were acting differently than they normally do. lol!!
Things are going really well now except that Spencer only has about 5% of his taste (dr. said that will last 3-6 months) but on a brighter note, Spencer is getting some of his energy back and is now able to do a little more. It helped switching medications to one that didn't completely knock him out.
Thank you to all of you who brought dinners and watched my kids... I didn't realize how much I would this!!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Thanks Korie for updating! I have been wondering how you guys were doing and how Spence was. I hope you both continue to feel well and things keep going smooth. Sure love ya!

Britney said...

I suck ... I did NOTHING. :( In my defense, you didn't really tell me a lot. I had no idea it was such a big thing!!! I am sorry ... I am sure all is well now. Can I still bring you guys dinner or take your kids?